NATIONAL INTEGRATED WATER INFORMATION SYSTEM
Waste Water Treatment Works Authorisation
What does this dashboard relate to:
Authorisation status of the Wastewater Treatment Works (WWTW) in South Africa.
Whats the main purpose of the dashboard?
The purpose is to provide a summary of the authorisation status of the WWTW Nationally and per province.
Contacts details of person/s who championed this dashboard:
Karlien de Villiers
Telephone: +27 12 336 7547
Telephone: +27 12 336 7617
What type/s of questions does the information product aim to answer:
The dashboard aims to answer the following questions:
- Number of WWTWs in SA/ Region/ Local Municipality
- Number of WWTWs that are authorised
- Type of authorisation (GA/ Licence/ Permit/ Exemption)
- Whether authorisations are still valid or have expired
- % of authorised and unauthorised WWTWs per region
- Water uses involved in
Data / Information discussion:
Data used to generate the information
What data is used?
- Information provided by Provincial Operations (Regions).
- Data from Water Use Authorisation and Administration (Letsema).
- Green Drop Reports.
How is it extracted and from where?
- Provincial Operations (Regions) verify information on inventory list send to them.
- Excel spreadsheets provided by Water Use Authorisation and Administration (Letsema).
- Green Drop Reports as become available.
How often is it extracted?
- Provincial Operations (Regions) verify information on a yearly basis.
- Data from Water Use Authorisation and Administration (Letsema) is requested on a monthly basis
- Green Drop Reports are available every second year.
Business Processes related to Data
The algorithms / equations used to convert data into information
- Summaries of authorisation status per Region
Links to other sources of related information
Are there any limitations / cautions related to using this information?
The database is updated frequently as we become aware of:
Therefore we need a contact person to send the updated inventory to on maybe a quarterly basis.
- new WWTWs or WWTWs that have been decommissioned
- the change in authorisation status of the WWTWs
Copyright: The copyright of the data/information remains with the Department of Water and Sanitation.
This approval to use the data/information cannot be construed as a transfer of copyright.
All data is supplied free of charge and may not be sold to third parties. The use of information data
is restricted to use for academic, research or personal purposes.
Quality: All data is supplied with no
expressed or implied warranty as to its suitability for purpose, accuracy or completeness.
Status: Meanwhile data is continuously updated; the data set(s) supplied are already historical on the day of supply.
Acknowledgement: Whenever used in publications or the electronic media, the Department Water and Sanitation is to
be mentioned as the proprietor of the relevant copyright.